Top 10 most memorable examples of gobbledegook

1. George W Bush, August 5 2004: ''Our enemies are innovative and resourceful and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.''

2. Arnold Schwarzenegger, election campaign, 2003: ''I think that gay marriage should be between a man and a woman.''

3. Donald Rumsfeld, Department of Defence news briefing, February 12, 2002: ''Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know.

''We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know.

''But there are also unknown unknowns - the ones we don't know we don't know.''

4. Murray Walker, motor racing commentator: ''The lead car is absolutely unique, except for the one behind it which is identical.''

5. John Motson, football commentator: ''For those of you watching in black and white, Spurs are playing in yellow.''

6. Gordon Brown, Prime Minister's question time, July 1 2009: ''Total spending will continue to rise and it will be a 0% rise in 2013-14.''

7. Bill Clinton, during his 1998 grand jury testimony about Monica Lewinsky: ''It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is.

''If 'is' means 'is and never has been' that's one thing - if it means 'there is none', that was a completely true statement.''

8. Eric Cantona, footballer, press conference, 1995: ''When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.''

9. George W Bush, Rome, July 22, 2001: ''I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I believe and what I believe - I believe what I believe is right.''

10. Boris Johnson, Have I Got News for You, 2003: ''I could not fail to disagree with you less.''
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Lijit Search